The gang at The Lost Abbey (aka Port Brewing Company) is celebrating the breweryâ€™s first anniversary in a couple of weeks with a big first birthday party loading with special tastings and a couple of (very) limited releases of new additions to their already impressive beer lineup. (I swear they’ve got more medals than a Latin American general).
Master Brewer Tomme Arthur is so busy “…pushing more envelopes than a mailman on crytal meth” (to quote Ben McFarland in the new April/May 2007 issue of Celebrator), that he hasnâ€™t had a chance to update with website with the good news.
So as a public service to all you beer lovers, hereâ€™s the details of what promises to be an epic (yes, epic) event:
- What: Lost Abbey / Port Brewing Co. 1st Anniversary Celebration
- When: May 5, 2007 â€“ 12pm to 9 pm
- Where: Lost Abbey / Port Brewing Co. (the old Stone Brewing facility), San Marcos, San Diego County, CA
- How Much: $15 at the door. Gets you 8 tasting tickets and entre to the taco bar featuring the food of Portâ€™s own Vincent Marsaglia.
So whatâ€™s going to be there? Check this out:
All of the following “house” beers throughout the day, plus special appearances beers from the past year that were specially stashed for the party.
- Amigo Lager
- Sharkbite Red Ale | Beer Advocate | Ratebeer.com
- Wipeout IPA | Beer Advocate | Ratebeer.com
- Hop 15 | Beer Advocate | Ratebeer.com
- Red Barn Belgian Farmhouse Ale (including a keg from the very first batch) | Beer Advocate | Ratebeer.com
- Old Viscosity Stout | Beer Advocate | Ratebeer.com
- Judgment Day Belgian Dark Ale (newly released) | Beer Advocate | Ratebeer.com
Plus a preview of a new beer
- Devotion: This six percent ABV Belgian Style Blonde ale is dry hopping right now. It wonâ€™t be available in bottles until mid-May, so attendees will be the first to try it.
From the archives of the barrel room
- En Garde – Barrel Aged Avant Garde
- Amazing Grace – Barrel Aged Lost and Found
- Older Viscosity 2006
- The Angel’s Share – Aged in Bourbon Barrels (not Brandy)
- High Tide IPA – the last keg in existence
- Santa’s Little Helper 2006 Imperial Stout
But wait thereâ€™s more!
Thereâ€™s going to be two new bottle releases that day as well.
- Cuvee de Tomme – This is the first release of CdT to be barrel blended. Only 420 bottles will be sold. There will be a maximum of 4 bottles per person. $15 per 375ml cork finished bottle.
- Ten Commandments – Lost Abbey’s once a year Anniversary beer. (A new generation of Dark Farmhouse Style Beer many of you knew in an earlier incarnation as Pizza Port’s SPF 8.) This year’s release saw Brettanomyces added at bottling, so it’s guranteed to be something special. It will be $12 per 750 ml cork finished bottle and no limit on the number of purchases (plus 10% off on a case), but there’s only 280 cases, so wide distribution of this one is unlikely.
And as if all that werenâ€™t enough, Tomme has also hinted strongly that thereâ€™ll be a few other surprises at the event. (And Tommeâ€™s surprises are always good!)
If you want more information, you can call them but you may have to leave a message since they donâ€™t have a dedicated phone answering person. Better yet, if you drop me an email at “beerbuddy (at) mybeerpix (dot) com”, and Iâ€™ll get you the answers you need ASAP.
Hereâ€™s the Brewery address:
155 Mata Way
San Marcos, CA
Tel: (760) 891-0272
— Cheers (and see you there!)
Yes, it’s OK to re-publish this info on your own website. You don’t need to ask. (A linkback would be nice though.)